European Film Market Business Development Trip
February 7th – 15th, 2019
APPLICATION DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 15, 2018 5PM
The Newfoundland & Labrador Film Development Corporation (NLFDC) will hire a consultant for a business development mission to Berlin, Germany from February 7th -15th, 2019 for the European Film Market (EFM), held during the Berlinale Film Festival. An agency representative from three Atlantic Provinces, Newfoundland & Labrador (NL), Nova Scotia (NS) and Prince Edward Island (PEI) and sixteen producers from the provinces (seven NL, seven NS and up to two PEI) will be selected to further enhance the promotion of coproduction, joint-financing, and distribution development opportunities between screen industry producers in the Atlantic Provinces and those internationally. The mission will enhance the group’s knowledge of working with producers on an international scale.
To help ensure producers are prepared for the trip, the NFLDC will engage the services of a consultant for on the ground consulting services while in Berlin. Applicants will be notified of the consultant once they are selected in mid-November.
Once selected, the consultant will be contacting you shortly thereafter to begin initial discovery sessions via conference call in advance of the mission. In preparation for this call you will need to complete the attached Discovery Form.
Innovation PEI Marketing Assistance Program
To assist filmmakers with the costs associated with this trip, participants are eligible for a travel stipend through the Innovation PEI Marketing Assistance Program.
Travel and Accommodations
Filmmakers will be responsible for booking their own travel and accommodations for this trip. The delegation must be on the ground in Berlin by end of day, February 6th, 2019 (subject to change).
It is recommended, but not mandatory that participants register for EFM at their own cost in order to gain access to the Canadian Pavilion located in Gropius Bau. Badge types can be found here. Please let the NLFDC and the Consultant know if you plan on registering for the event.
The Consultant will arrange a minimum of 4-6 targeted meetings for producers based on their individual needs. Where appropriate, group sessions may also be arranged for some of the group. The majority of meetings will take place from February 7th – 11th. Please share your travel itinerary with the Consultant and the NLFDC in order to best accommodate your schedule.
As noted above, there are up to two seats available to PEI companies. In order to apply companies must complete the attached application form and provide supporting material by November 15th, 2018. Below you will find the criteria for applications:
- Must be a PEI based company paying taxes in PEI.
- Must have at least two producer credits on completed productions of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes
- Television series production
- Feature film that a) received financing from a Federal and/or Provincial funding agency (NL, NS, PEI) or b) had a budget of $1.25 million or greater
- Digital media production that a) received funding from Canada Media Fund, Bell Fund, Telefilm, Independent Production Fund and, or Provincial funding agency (NL, NS, PEI) or b) had significant marketplace exposure and/or reputable market partners
- Participated in at least one international market or festival event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions)
- Must have at least one project in development
*Participants will be chosen at the discretion of the FilmPEI EFM Participant Committee. If you feel you do not meet the criteria and are still interested in attending the mission, please contact FilmPEI Executive Director, Renee Laprise at email@example.com.